Senior Ocean Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Division - Mari Pro, Inc.-20000058
Engineering -Multiple Functions
Goleta, CA, US
Day - 1st
Yes, 25 % of the Time
L3Harris is dedicated to recruiting and developing diverse, high-performing talent who are passionate about what they do. Our employees are unified in a shared dedication to our customers’ mission and quest for professional growth. L3Harris provides an inclusive, engaging environment designed to empower employees and promote work-life success. Fundamental to our culture is an unwavering focus on values, dedication to our communities, and commitment to excellence in everything we do.
The Sr. Project and Ocean Engineer is responsible for design solutions, development of system technical requirements, trade-off and risk analyses, proposal, development and documentation of test plans, and off-shore operations associated with survey and cable installations. The position will report to the Director, Engineering and will based out of Goleta, CA.
Studies acquirer and other stakeholder requirements to understand and or develop system technical requirements.
Establishes derived technical requirements and develops design solutions.
Conducts effectiveness, trade-off and risk analyses.
Performs system requirements allocation and establishes verification and validation plans.
Supports marketing, proposals and programs in both system and design engineering capacities
Supports program plan, schedule and budget development.
Develops and documents tests with plans, procedures and reports.
Conducts analysis and tests to validate designs.
Maintains engineering design basis files.
Develops material in support of design reviews and leads reviews.
Supports customer reviews by organizing and presenting system data.
Participates in sea trials and system installations.
Provides guidance to technical staff.
Supports technical interface with subcontractors.
Provides regular cost and schedule updates to program managers.
Responsible for offshore operations associated with survey and cable installations.
Perform functions of surveyor and cable engineer.
Provide work class ROV intervention design and field supervision to contracted ROV service providers
- May perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the workload.
- A Bachelor’s degree in engineering, mathematics, physics or a related scientific discipline is required.
- 10 years of related experience
- Experience with relevant analysis tools (e.g. MatLab, AutoCAD, Mathcad, and SolidWorks).
- Experience and strong understanding of mechanics, dynamics, thermodynamics, materials science, structural analysis, and electricity is preferred.
- Experience in a high quality, process-controlled manufacturing environment
- Suitable commercial construction experience to apply and test
- Responsible for managing employee qualifying individually on L3Harris state General Engineering Contractor contracting licenses in states (Calif. & Oregon currently) where required.
- Perform administrative functions required to maintain the licenses in active status.
Special Certifications, Credentials:
- Valid state driver’s license
- Active DoD Security Clearance preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to speak read and write the English language.
- Requires relevant technical expertise in ASW, Telemetry, Data Acquisition Systems, Communications, Computers, Acoustics, Electro-Optics, Sensor/Sensor Fusion, Materials, etc.
- Strong analytic and communication skills; ability to coach, train, motivate and manage technical personnel.
- Requires the ability to interpret and communicate system designs and specifications to requisite personnel. Requires sound knowledge of engineering theory, design criteria and complex activities.
- Ability to write a concise report of findings.
- Ability to manage complex activities; ability to meet program objectives within contract cost and schedule requirements.
- Effective human relation skills are essential; and ability to interact with customers.
- Ability to motivate others; sound effective listening skills; pays attention to details; ability to work under pressure; and ability to meet deadlines.
- Exerts up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally, or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently, or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
- Employee regularly sits while using upper body movements including arms, hands and fingers operating computer equipment and other office equipment.
- Employee occasionally stands and/or walks to go into meetings or for discussions with other administrative / office personnel.
- Employee occasionally reaches with hands and arms in moving tools equipment and/or products as needed.
- Physical ability and willingness to work outside in yard facility during heavy equipment testing and on offshore work vessels with stairways and ladders.
Other Work Conditions and Requirements:
- Employee works in a quiet to moderately noisy environment.
- Work aboard ship will be required.
- Up to 30% travel in one year. Up to four weeks of continuous travel from home and aboard ships at sea.
- Interacts with the Engineering Department and provides support to other technical personnel.
Who We Are
L3 is proud to employ more than 7,700 veterans of the U.S. military, helping them use their unique training and skills to meet our customers' needs.
Many of L3's top business leaders are former military personnel who provide critical insight and support for using L3's advanced technology and services to protect our country's freedoms.
Be part of our mission. be L3!
Learn more at https://www.l3t.com/careers/transitioning-military